Curriculum Vitae for Liviu(Life) Librescu
The e-mails from grateful students arrived soon after Liviu Librescu was shot to death, telling how the Holocaust survivor barricaded the doorway of his Virginia Tech classroom and saved their lives at the cost of his own.
"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Librescu's son, Joe Librescu, said Tuesday in a telephone interview from his home outside Tel Aviv. "Students started opening windows and jumping out." Joe Librescu, who studied at Virginia Tech from 1989 to 1994, said his mother received e-mails from students shortly after learning of her husband's death. The gunman, identified as Cho Seung-Hui - a 23-year-old English major and native of South Korea - killed 32 people, then committed suicide.
President of Romania Traian Basescu, Prime Minister Calin Popescu-Tariceanu and Minister of Foreign Affairs Adrian Cioroianu sent today messages of condolences to their US counterparts expressing sincere regrets for the tragic deaths of 33 students and professors in the incidents at Virginia Tech University on April 16 th , 2007 . Romanian authorities expressed solidarity with the American people in these tragic moments of profound distress. The romanian authorities also addressed heartfelt condolences to the family of Professor Liviu Librescu American-Israeli citizen of Romanian origin and a victim of the attacks at Virginia Tech, conveying their compassion for the tragic loss.
The academic community in Romania also was mourning Librescu's death. "It is a great loss," said Ecaterina Andronescu, rector of the Polytechnic University in Bucharest, where Librescu graduated with a degree in mechanics and aviation construction in 1953. "We have immense consideration for the way he reacted and defended his students with his life." At the Bucharest university, people placed flowers on a table holding his picture and a lit candle. "We remember him as a great specialist in aeronautics. He left behind hundreds of prestigious papers," said professor Nicolae Serban Tomescu.
Liviu Librescu, who specialized in composite structures and aeroelasticity, published extensively and received numerous awards for his work. He received a doctorate from the Bucharest-based Academy of Sciences in 1969, and an honorary degree from the Bucharest Polytechnic University in 2000. He also received several NASA grants and taught courses at the University "La Sapienza" in Rome and at the Tel Aviv University in Israel.
Dumnezeu Sa-l Odihneasca in Pace!
In the names of many Romanians living abroad, especially in US,
romanian-gymnastics.com has asked the Romanian President to decorate prof Liviu Librescu for his Heroic Gesture.
To honor and remember the victims, a website has been created by Virginia Tech so those within the university community and around the world may share condolences, thoughts, and prayers.
Share your condolences - Click Here #
Virginia Tech Tribute
A tribute and memorial to the victims of the April 16, 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech University
[April 18] Romanian born Hero Liviu Librescu received Highest Award
[April 18] President Bush spoke about Romanian born Hero Liviu Librescu
Liviu Librescu Interests:
Foundation and applications of the modern theory of shells incorporating non-classical effects and composed of advanced composite materials; Foundation of the theory and applications of sandwich type structures; Aeroelastic stability of flight vehicle structures;. Nonlinear aeroelasticity
o f structures in supersonic and hypersonic flow fields; Aeroelastic and structural tailoring; Dynamic response and instability of elastic and viscoelastic laminated composite structures subjected to deterministic and random loading systems; Mechanical and thermal postbuckling of flat and curved shear-deformable elastic panels; Static, dynamic and aeroelastic feedback control of adaptive structures; Unsteady aerodynamics and magnetoaerodynamics of supersonic flows with applications; Optimization problems of aeroelastic structural systems; Theory of composite thin-walled beams and its application in aeronautical and mechanical constructions; Response and behavior of structures to underwater and in-air explosions; Multifunctional and Functionally Graded material structures.
Ph.D., Institute of Fluid Mechanics, Academy of Science of Romania, 1969
M. A. Sc., Polytechnic Institute, Faculty of Aeronautical Engineering, Bucharest, 1953
B.S., Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, Romania, Aeronautical Engineer, 1952
|2007||Invited Key Note Lecture at the 17th International Congress on Thermal Stresses, June 4-7, 2007, Taipei, Taiwan, âJoule Heating and its Implications on Crack Detection/Arrest in Electrically Conductive Circular Cylindrical Shellsâ.( Z. Qin, L. Librescu and D. Hasanyan)|
|2006||Awarded a diploma by the 17th International Conference on Adaptive Structures and Technology for the paper âRobust Aeroelastic Control of Composite Aircraft Wings in Incompressible Flowâ by Yoon, G. C., Na, S. S., Librescu, L., and Baek, S. C., Taiwan, ICAST 2006, October 13-17.|
|2005||Appointed Chair of the International Organizing Committee of the 6th International Congress on Thermal Stresses '05 May 26-29, 2005, Vienna, Austria|
|2005||Invited Plenary Lecture at the 6th International Congress of Thermal Stresses '05 May 26-29, 2005, Vienna, Austria "Thin-Walled Beams Used in Turbomachinery and Space Applications Made-Up of Functionally Graded Materials and Operating in a High Temperature Environment: Vibration and Instability" by L. Librescu, S-Y Oh and O. Song|
|2005||Selected as a member of the Board of Experts of the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Scientific Research|
|2005||Awarded a diploma by the International Congress on Thermal Stresses, Vienna, Austria, May-June, 2005, ``In recognition for the achievements in the field of Thermal Stresses, for organizing the Fifth International Congress of Thermal Stresses, and for the contributions to the Journal of Thermal Stresses, as an author and as a member of the Editorial Board.''|
|2005||Awarded a diploma by the ASME, 20th Biennal Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Long Beach, CA, September 24-28, 2005 expressing the deep appreciation for the valuable services in advancing the engineering profession.''|
|2005||Frank J. Maher Award for Excellence in Engineering Education|
|2004||Plenary Key Note Lecture to the Third European Conference on Structural Control July 12-15. 2004, Vienna, Austria âAdvances in the Linear/nonlinear Control of Aeroelastic Structural Systemsâ by L. Librescu and P. Marzocca|
|2003||Member of the Executive Committee of the International Congress of Thermal Stresses, (1999-2003) and re-appointed for (2003-2007)|
|2003||General Chair of the 5th International Congress of Thermal Stresses and Related Topics, June 8-11, 2003, Blacksburg, VA|
|2000||Recipient of the title of Doctor Honoris Causa of the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, Romania|
|2000||Elected member of the Academy of Sciences of the Shipbuilding of Ukraine|
|1999||Recipient of The 1999 Deanâs Award for Excellence in Research, College of Engineering VPI&SU|
|1999||Elected Foreign Fellow of the Academy of Engineering of Armenia|
|1998||Invited Plenary Lecture at the Session dedicated to the great Italian Scientist Professor Placido Cicala, Torino, June 25, 1998, Italia âAeroelastic Tailoring of Advanced Aircraft Wings Carrying External Storesâ, with Dr. F. H. Gern|
|1988||Plenary Key Note Lecture to the Second International Conference on Composite Science and Technology, June 9-11, 1998 Durban, South Africaâ Recent Developments in the Modelling and Behavior of Advanced Sandwich Constructionsâ|
|1972||Laureate of the prize âTraian Vuiaâ of the Romanian Academy of Science|
- Listing in Who's Who
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in Engineering
- Who's Who in the World
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Member of the Editorial Board of
- 2007 - Journal of Sound and Vibration
- 2004 - International Journal of Advanced Materials and Structures
- 2003 - Journal Mathematical Methods and Physic-Mechanical Fields
- 1999 - Journal Thin-Walled Structures
- 1998 - Journal of Thermal Stresses
- 1997 - International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics
- 1975 - Solid Mechanics Archives
- Guest Editor for the Special Issues of the Journals
- 2006 - Journal of Mathematical Engineering (issues devoted to Thermomechanical Problems)
- 2004 - International of Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Vol. 11, Nos. 4-5, Part I & II
- 2001 - Composite Structures, Vol. 52, 1, 2001
- 2001 - Thin-Walled Structures, Special Issue - New Advances in the Modelling and Application of Smart Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 39, 1, 2001
- 2000 - Composites Engineering, Part B, Vol. 32, 3, 2000
- Chair of the International Organizing Committee of
- 2005 - 6th International Congress on Thermal Stresses '05, May 26-29, Vienna, Austria
- 2005 - 6th International Congress on Thermal Stresses '05, May 26-29, Vienna, Austria
- Co-Chair of the International Organizing Committee of
- 2007 - 7th International Congress on Thermal Stresses June 4-7, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2005 - Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, October 26-28, Nanjing, China
- Member of the International Advisory Board of
- 2007 - Second International Symposium on Design Modelling and Experiments of Adaptive Structures and Smart Systems, DEMEASS II, October 14-17, Bad Herrenalb, Germany
- 2007 - Organizing Committee of the 70th Birthday of Jozef Ignaczak Symposium at the 7th International Congress on Thermal Stresses, Juen 4-7, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2006 - 2nd International Congress on Computational Mechanics and simulation (ICCM-06), December 8-10, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati,-781039, India
- 2006 - 1st International Symposium on Design Modelling and Experiments of Adaptive Structures and Smart Systems, DeMEASS I, June 10-12, Bardonecchia (Turin), Italy
- 2004 - 1st International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation, IIT Kanpur, December 9-12, India
- 2004 - 2nd International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, July 5-7, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2003 - 2nd International Conference on Applied Mechanics and Materials (ICAMM 2003), January 21-23, Durban, South Africa
- 1998 - 2nd Interntional Conference on Composite Science and Technology, June 9-11, Durban, South Africa
- 1996 - 1st International Conference, Composite Science Technology, June 18-20, Durham, South Africa
- Member of the International Organizing Committee of
- 2005 - 6th International Congress of Thermal Stresses, May 26-29, Wien, Austria
- 2001 - 4th International Congress on Thermal Stresses, June 8-11, Osaka, Japan
- 1999 - 3rd International Congress on Thermal Stresses, June 13-17, Cracow, Poland
- 1982 thru 1985 - Israel National Conference on Aviation and Astronautics
- G. Polli, L. Librescu and F. Mastroddi, Aeroelastic Response of Composite Aircraft Swept Wings Impacted by a Laser Beam, AIAA, Vol. 33, No, 2, pp. 382-391, 2006
- Na, S. S., Librescu, L., Rim, S. N. and Yoon, G. C., Vibration and Dynamic Response Control of Non-Unifom Composite Rotating Blades, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, 2006, ID 13807, pp. 1-9, 2006
- Librescu, L., Oh, S-Y. and Hohe, J., Dynamic Response of Anisotropic Sandwich Flat Panels to Underwater and In-Air Explosions, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 43, No. 13, pp. 3794-3816, June, 2006
- Hause, T. and Librescu, L., Flexural Free Vibration of Sandwich Flat Panels with Laminated Anisotropic Face Sheets, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 297, Nos. 3-5, pp. 823-841, 2006
- Librescu, L. and Song, O., Composite Thin-Walled Beams: Theory and Application, Springer, 615, 2005
ESM 3154, Solid Mechanics, Spring 2007.
ESM 5074, Mech Lam Comp Str, Spring 2007.
ESM 5994, Research and Thesis, Spring 2007.
ESM 7994, Research and Dissertation, Spring 2007.
ESM 6044, Theory of Plates and Shells, Fall 2006.
ESM 6044, Theory of Plates and Shells, Fall 2005.
ESM 2304, Dynamics, Spring 2005.
ESM 5074, Mech Lam Comp Str, Spring 2005.
ESM 6044, Theory of Plates and Shells, Fall 2004.
ESM 2304, Dynamics, Spring 2004.
ESM 6044, Theory of Plates and Shells, Fall 2003.
Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.